Be the Salt and the Light in your Community
This summer, Jonathan and I had the opportunity to go to Costa Rica with a group of seven students and three other leaders. We partnered with Shalom Church in Fraijanes in the Alajueja district.
Shalom Church sets the bar high when it comes to taking care of the people in their community and we learned so much by their example.
Here are just a few of the things that Shalom Church is doing for their city:
- Building sidewalks and bus stops
- Picking up trash on the streets
- Planting flowers around the town
- Giving jobs to people in the community through their greenhouses and cafeteria
- Teaching women skills so that they can support themselves and potentially get out of abuse situations
- Teaching and taking care of refugees living in poor neighborhoods
- Building houses for those in need
I know I’m not even close to listing all the amazing things they are doing and have done but I’m so thankful for their hard work and dedication to serving. It was an honor to serve alongside them and to give our students an experience I hope they will never forget.